Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Blogger Commenting System Is Not On Stable Ground

Historically Blogger, the free blogging software from Google, has received less than favorable reviews for their blog commenting system. IMO this is one area where Blogger pales in comparison to the blog comment software that comes preloaded on free blogs from WordPress.com.

The truth of the matter is, with the standard Blogger commenting system, comments are quite often  lost as if they are being sucked down into the black hole of cyberspace. Blog visitors can carefully craft a witty or helpful comment, select from a pre-filled list of methods for identification, hit enter and - puff their comments are lost and a second request for id verification is launched.

A word of advice to anyone that has decided to use Blogger for their blog. I recommend you install an advanced blog comment system like Intense Debate or Disqus before you publish your first post. I decided to install the Intense Debate commenting system on this blog a few days ago and I’m pleased with the outcome. I was so excited to install Intense Debate that as it turns out I rushed through the process without exploring all of configuration options.

Lucky for me I read several blogs during the course of a day and I came across this post Apply CommentLuv for Blogger Blogs from ICT Trends. As the post explains, what I didn't notice when I signed up for Intense Debate post is that you can install various plugins with your setup including the CommentLuv plugin.

If you are not familiar with CommentLuv, I recommend you read about the importance of adding it to your blog in this post from Kikolani's blog Reasons to Love CommentLuv Blogs.

This is one case in favor of choosing Blogger over WordPress.com for your free blogging software. But no matter what type of blogging software you take advantage of, you should sign up for a free account at CommentLuv so that your posts will be recognized when you leave comments on other blogs with the plugin installed.

Let me know what you think about Intense Debate and CommentLuv and rather you have it installed on your blog or not.

UPDATE: Due to popular demand I created how-to video instructions for installing the Intense Debate commenting system and CommentLuv plugin on Blogger in this post How-To Install CommentLuv on Blogger 
Enhanced by Zemanta
Post a Comment